Most charterers do not want to sit in front of a computer and check their e-mail. However, some of us cannot afford this luxury, and have to check our email a few times.
Before we get to that, this list is becoming less relevant by the day, for the reason that more and more charter companies now provide on-board, any time, anywhere hi-speed wifi. This access is provided by cell phone companies which supply a wi-fi modem/router that charterers can rent for the week with unlimited data. Prices vary from $135 to $200 per week in 2012. We have tried some of those systems, and they are indeed quite efficient.
Anyway, just in case, here are the "cyber-cafes" and wi-fi access points in the most popular charter areas.
Antigua and Barbuda
Dickenson Bay - Dickenson Park
Phone: (268) 562-4653 - Email
Hours: 12a.m to 2a.m.
Price: U.S.19c per/min 4 computers, printer, scanner
Antigua Cyber Stop
located at the Antigua Yacht Club Marina in Falmouth Harbour
7 IBM compatible computers with ISDN internet connection, all with Microsoft Office 2000 installed, AOL, CompuServe, Hotmail, Yahoo; Latest Weather reports and forecasts available.
- Internet Café at the Downtown Mall
Bay Street Nassau - Phone: (242) 356-2217
Price: 5 cents a minute with a $3.00 minimum charge for 15 minutes of usage. There are approximately 15-20 terminals, with printers connected.
- Computer Internet Services
Upstairs Barbados Hardware - Swan Street - Bridgetown.
$1.00 US p. 10 min / $6.00 US p. hr.
Mon-Thur: 8:00AM - 5:00PM | Fri: 8:00AM - 6:00PM | Sat: 8:00AM - 3:00PM
Tel.: (246) 436-8655 | 10 computers, fax, scan, AOL, printer, phone service.
Cybercoffee Internet (Across from Fido's, next door to the Museum) Email, AOL, and computer services + International Fax & Long Distance - Free Coffee & Snacks while you browse! Price: BZ $4.50 per 5 minutes - BZ $20.00. Coffee, tea, fruit drinks and cookie included!
25 Barrier Reef Drive - Telephone 501-26-3015
Internet café: San Pedro, Ambergris Caye: 10 up to date computers, laptop bar, AOL friendly,all chats. International phone service. Open 7 days weekly from 7.00 am - 10 pm
- Compass Publishing, Brick House, Back Street, Port Elizabeth
On the south side of the harbor in Bequia.
- Lenroc Internet Cafe, Back Street, Bequia across from Knight's Trading and NCB Bank - Internet access, laptop stations, computer servicing, DVD rentals
British Virgin Islands
1. Wi-Fi connection and hotspots
This is where the modem rentals are the most prevalent. Several companies are doing it. The best bet is to ask your charter company which company they are working with.
2. Road Town
- The Moorings: internet access in the lobby - Skype OK.
- Cable and Wireless, at the Pasea Estate office (tel.: 494 4444) across the carriageway from the Moorings.
- New cyber-cafe "Click On Line" (tel.: 494-5954) at the back of Mill Mall.
- In the same building as Ms. Penguin, at an establishment called Sub J's Sandwich Shop. They charge $5 for half an hour, in half hour increments only.
3. Sopers Hole (West End of Tortola):
The jewelry store next to Pussers restaurant has computers available.
4. Cane Garden Bay
- Myett Restaurant
5. Trellis Bay (at the airport)
- Cyber Café, next to Aragon's studio. Offers DSL, Macs & PCs, fax. $5 for first 15 min, then $0.33/min after that.
- Free for restaurant/bar users at the Last Resort.
6. Marina Cay
- At the bar uptop and in the restaurant (free). Skype OK. Can be used from the anchorage if close enough to the beach.
7. Virgin Gorda
- Yacht Harbour Chandlery (tel.: 495 5500)
- Saba Rock (North Sound) Free - Skype OK
- Bitter End at the bar (North Sound)
- Bitter End - Hotspot name Linksys (login Internet - pwd office) Skype OK from mooring ball # 56
- Leverick Bay Internet Cafe next to the laundry facility: $0.33/minute or $20/hour
7. Maya Cove
Fat Hog Bob's in on Tortola.
8. Jost Van Dyke
Great Harbour at the bakery.
9. Norman Island- at Pirates - $5 for 30 minutes. For Mac users: You need to use the browser Firefox to be able to log in.
10. Cooper Island: Free for restaurant/bar users at the bar
- Carib Walk Inn Internet Café - Schottegatweg Noord 24 Unit: M Goisco Building
Services: 10 PC's - Surf, chat, scan, print, make digital photo, MS Office utilities, copy. Prices from $ 4.00 per hour - Mo-Fri 09.00am-08.00pm - Sat 10.00am-07.00pm - Sun 12.00pm - 06.00pm
E-mail - Phone: (5999) 736-4533
- Irie Vibes - At the Beach House Villas On the Seven Mile Beach in Negril
- At the public library
- Several email places in Gustavia on the main street. Just ask directions!
- Snooty Agouti - Rodney Bay - CASTRIES
Phone: 4520321 — E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Caribbean coffee house in a wooden building, which combines internet access with Espresso, Cuban Cigars. Open from 9.a.m. to midnight.
- Cyberzone - in Marigot Bay (French side) inside the Yacht Club residence - across the Museum and Tourist Office (dinghy dock availbale)
14 computers w/ broadband access + printers - $4/hr - mini $1
Mon-Fri: 10AM - 7PM | Sat: 3PM - 7PM
Barefoot Yacht Charters, Blue Lagoon - Great people! Offers a dedicated internet cafe for visiting yachtsmen. Cost is $EC 10 ($US 4per hour) on ADSL hi-speed line. Will also type up e-mails for those who are not computer-literate, at no charge.
Sunsail, Blue Lagoon: Offers e-mail access but on rather antiquated system that works through a television and can be very slow.
ROC Internet, Murray Road
VC Net Ltd, Baynes Building, Granby Street
Most places charge similar rates than Barefoot.
- Adams Roseman, Clifton Harbour
- Erika's Marine Services at Bougainvillea Marina, Clifton Harbour.
U.S. Virgin Islands
14 Estate Thomas - St. Thomas
Phone: 1-787-289-0344 - Email: email@example.com
Price/Hour: $6.00 per hour Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. or later if ships are in high speed connection, 20 computers, 20 phones/data ports serving the cruise ship industry. Also, phone cards, fax, money transfer, beverages, and assistance.
Port of $ale MAll, Havensight
Hours M-Sun 9:00pm - 6:00pm
16 PCs with super fast DSL connection for web surfing,
E-mails, Video E-mails , Computer games. Phones,phonecards and beverages also available.
Beans, Bytes & Websites
Royal Dane Mall, St. Thomas - Phone: 340-777-7089 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Price/Hour: $10.00 U.S -Hours: 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM Mon. thru Sat. 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Located in historical Royal Dane Mall just off the Waterfront. Featuring new I-Macs connected to a T1 high speed line. Faxing, scanning, printing, video e-mail and internet games. Beverages.
Phone card Center
Charlotte Amalie/Havensight - Phone: 340-774-8466 - Email: email@example.com
Price/Hour: $8.00/Hour USD
Hours: 8 am - 6 pm daily - Phonecards, fax, scanner, printers
Grateful Deli in Red Hook
- Caribbean Connection in Cruz Bay and Coral Bay